Who Needs to be Registered

Everyone in New Zealand in the business of providing a financial service, whether in New Zealand or overseas, must be registered on the Financial Service Providers Register (FSPR) before they can legally provide financial services. There are some exceptions and exemptions.

Who must register

Under the Financial Services Providers (Registration and Dispute Resolution) Act 2008, everyone who provides, or offers to provide, a financial service in New Zealand or from New Zealand to other countries must register as an FSP.

Registration as a financial service provider is not an official approval of an individual, business or organisation. It doesn’t indicate that you’re licensed or regulated in New Zealand or any other country.

Who doesn’t have to register

There are some individuals and organisations that don’t need to register on the FSPR to provide financial services.

  • Employees who provide financial services
    If you’re an employee of a company that’s a registered FSP, you don’t have to register if you’re providing only wholesale or class services (or both).
  • Qualifying Financial Entities (QFEs) advisers that don’t need to register
    If you’re a QFE adviser, whether or not you need to register depends on the services you provide. The FMA website provides information to help you decide if you must register or not.
  • Businesses that provide financial services
    Businesses that provide financial services as a necessary part of their practice don’t have to register on the FSPR. This includes: (a) lawyers; (b) chartered accountants; (c) tax agents; and (d) real estate agents.

Who is exempt from registration?

There are some activities and services that you don’t need to be registered on the FSPR to provide. These include:

  • angel investors supporting start-up businesses
  • sole adviser practices — although you still need to register as an individual FSP
  • providers of gift cards and loyalty schemes.

The full list of exemptions is in the Financial Service Providers (Exemptions) Regulations 2010.

Who can’t register as an FSP

You can’t register or be involved in the management of a registered FSP if, for example, you:

  • are an undischarged bankrupt
  • are a banned director
  • are subject to a confiscation order under the Proceeds of Crime Act 1991, or
  • have been convicted of:
  • money laundering
  • an offence relating to the financing of terrorism
  • a crime involving dishonesty within the last 5 years.

Should you have any question or
Matter you would like to discuss with us

Our multi-lingual team of business advisors is happy to assist you with all upcoming questions and issues in relation to your company. You may call or email us, and we will be happy to assist you in a fast and efficient manner. You may also come and visit us at any of our Altrincham/UK or Wellington/NZ offices to discuss issues face to face if you prefer. Just arrange an appointment and we will be happy to meet you.

Contact Us Now!

setting up fsp New Zealand

Wellington Head Offices

44 Mairangi Road, Wadestown
Wellington 6012, NZ

Customer Services
Phone: + 64 4 830 3351
Email: enquiries@fspfinancial.co.nz

Business Development Team
Phone: + 64 4 888 1324
Email: info.wellington@fspfinancial.co.nz

Registered with I.C.O. – Information Commissioner’s Office, under the Data Protection (Charges and Information) Regulations 2018 (the Regulations)

TBA & Associates – Tax Business Advisors Limited
Registered in England | Company Reg. No. 07074712 | Registered office at SVS House, Oliver Grove, SE25 6EJ London | VAT Registration Nr: 114329148
Registered as Trust and Corporate Service Provider | Supervised by HMRC Anti-Money Laundering Supervision | Registration number: XWML00000128543