New Zealand Limited Liability Company
- 100% Foreign Ownership: Foreigners can own all of the shares in a New Zealand LLC.
- Limited Liability: A shareholder’s liability is limited to the capital investment.
- Easiest Country to Start a Business: According to the World Bank survey of 2015.
- One Shareholder: The minimum number of shareholders is one to form a LLC in New Zealand.
- One Director: The LLC can be managed by only one director; however, at least one Director must be resident in NZ.
- No Minimum Share Capital: No minimum share capital is required.
- English: As a British Dominion, English is its official language.
General Features of a Limited Liability Company
|Companies Act 1993
|Limited by Shares
|Company ending in:
|Memorandum & Articles:
|Time to Incorporate:
|Common or Civil Law;
|New Zealand dollar
|Bearer shares not allowed
|Minimum number of shareholders:
|Corporate Shareholders Allowed
|Minimum number of Directors:
|Resident Directors Required:
|Minimum one Director, as Resident in New Zealand
|Corporate Directors Allowed
|Annual Meetings Required
|Address for Service:
|Company name, registrations, Directors & Members
|Documents at Registered Office:
|Annual Return filed. Company must maintain proper records.
|Place of Meetings:
|Any exchange controls:
|Double taxation treaties:
|Comprehensive list of countries
|Exchange of information:
|Tax on profits, not normally capital gains, Comprehensive legislation
|Attendance in New Zealand
|Not Required (Formalities by fax, email, and courier)
|Can be open worldwide
Requirement for New Zealand Resident Director
The grace period to allow companies the opportunity to comply with the Companies Amendment Act 2014 resident director rule commenced on 1 May 2015 and ended on the 28 October 2015.
At this stage, the Registrar is unable to advise as to when non-compliant companies may be subject to removal proceedings.
Any company that is subject to these actions will individually receive public notice. Any company that is advertised for removal is allowed a 20-working day objection period from the date of public notice.
Expected time to register your New Zealand Company
It is estimated that registering a New Zealand LLC can take up to two business days for approval.
Shelf Companies available
Shelf companies are available for sale, to fasten up the registration process, and allow you to start trading immediately.
A New Zealand Limited Liability Company (LLC) has these benefits: 100% foreign ownership, limited liability, one of the easiest countries to start a business, only one shareholder to form the LLC, only one director to manage the LLC, no required minimum share capital, and English is the official language.